Re: HP48 vs TI-92

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: HP48 vs TI-92

In article <50adgu$rb1@artemis.ibernet.es>,
   reeurqui@usr.dragonetr.es (Miguel Urquizu) wrote:

>I know HP48 have a lot of RAM and a lots of formulas, but I go a lot
>faster with my TI-85. For instance, plotting, differentiating,
>integrating, working with matrices... it is faster with the TI.
>Furthermore, i dont see the people using the formulas and other stuff
>they have in it.

I've heard of several cases of people using the eq. libs, especially
during a first year course in Physics, for example.

As for the TI-85 being faster, I can't vouch for all the examples
listed above. As much as I love my 85, I think the 48gx is slightly
faster with matrices -- it inverts a 30 by 30 matrix in less time,
at least. I have to agree with you about the built in numerical
integration being faster on the TI-85, especially in cases of
discontinuity in the interval.

>Another point a like about my calculator, is that it is a lot easier
>introduce usual operation. It is most inuitive, you can use it when
>you just bought it, in the other hand, HP people seem to me a little
>bit lost for a couple of week.... Why do they type, for instance, 27
>[ENTER] 35 [+] in order to get 27 + 35 ?are they drunk?

They're not drunk; they're simply using a nifty-stack based
notation known as RPN.

I agree with you on the ease of use issue but I think the general
consensus about Reverse Polish Notation is that it grows on you.
Not only do you begin to like it as much as you like algebraic
notation but you're freed from the use of annoying parentheses.

>I dont know if I  will have to buy a powerful calculator in the future
>(i dont think so), but ?is HP  really, really superior   vs TI-85.?

I hate to say this on a TI newsgroup, but I think the 48GX is
superior to the 85. Why?

1. A HUGE software base
Over 10 megs of programs are available for the 48. I visited a
URL given by Mark Wilson to see one of the archives of HP software
-- it was impressive. I love math and it was great to see so many
nifty programs; this alone makes me long for the day I can afford
an HP.

2. A great processor
The Saturn in the HP may not have as fast a clock-speed as the Z80
in the 82, 83, and 85, but it has a much better design, making
it actually faster.

3. Teriffic programming supported by HP

>I read what you think about TI92 vs HP48, and most of you think they
>are not comparable, ?are TI-85 and HP48 comparable?

The next issue of the TI-GCM will (hopefully) have a comparison of the TI
models and the HP models -- since I'm obviously biased (I don't have
an HP), I'll try and get information from those with both calcs.
It won't be an article that states which calculator is better, but
rather a feature by feature comparison to let the reader decide.

Hope this helps!

- Paul
TI-GCM Senior Editor
paulp@televault.com