Re: HP48 vs. TI92 - The Answer

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: HP48 vs. TI92 - The Answer

In article <--0109962016180001@slip59.pdx.oneworld.com>,
JUSTIN SMITH <-> wrote:

>Yeah it wasn't Dave, if you don't consider school a real job.

I don't consider the problems presented in school to be representative of
the types of problems a scientist or engineer is faced with in the real
world.  Thus, I think that a calculator designed for these contrived
school problems (i.e. the TI-92) is an ideal calculator for a student.

I am not saying that the problems presented in school do not have any
pedagogical value.  I am merely pointing out that in many cases they are
different from real-world tasks.

For example, when was the last time you know of that a boss asked an
engineer to prove that all nilpotent matrices are singular?

<pre>
--
David Rice
<drice@asu.edu>