Numerically Solving Trig Equations on the 92

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Numerically Solving Trig Equations on the 92

I have had a TI-92 for the last few months, and yet I still haven't been
quite able to figure out how to get numerical solutions to trig
equations inside of a certain interval.  For example,

solve(sin(x/2)=cos(x/2),x)
--> x=(4*@n66-3)*Pi/2  (in Exact Mode, Radians)
--> x=1.57(4*@n66-3)   (in Apprx Mode, Radians)
(@n66 is an arbitrary integer, of course)

I would like to create a list from these values from [0,2Pi)

Of course I tried

solve(sin(x/2)=cos(x/2),x)|x>=0 and x<2Pi

but that just returns the same.
So far, I have only been able to use

expr>list(Ans(1),x)|@n66={0,1,2,3,4..}

and then sort out by hand which ones are in 0<=Theta<2Pi
Also, this seems to return a vector, which i really can't figure out,
being that expr>list _definitely_ returns a list.. this can get messy if
the calc is in spherical or cylindrical vector mode.

Also, check out

solve(sin(2x)=cos(x),x)
-->sin(2x)-cos(x)=0  (Exact Mode)
-->x=45.55 or x=13.09 or x=4.71 or x=2.6 or x=1.5 or ... (Approx Mode,
Rads)

Obviously the calc doesn't want to solve this symbolically, but why does
solve return such an odd list of radian numbers.  Any secret to this?

Could someone PLEASE help me out here?

J.P. McClain
JPMcClain@colint.com