85 Bug.

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

85 Bug.

--------------66F631D541CD

I'm not sure if this bug has been reported before, (although I
know half of it has), but I found it a few days ago in American History
(let's see, review for the next test or play with my ti-85?).  Back to
the point.
        I had discovered a while ago that using POPCHAR (an extremely
handy Zshell utility that puts ANY of the entire ascii character set in
the memory of the 85 into the undelete buffer used in editing programs),
that certain characters cause the menu function to go haywire.  The
noise that results is very similar to a system crash that is achieved
another of other ways, but it is restricted to the area the menu
occupies, and it does not harm your calculator.
        What I had been searching for was a way to achieve that without
POPCHAR so I could show my friends who do not have popchar.  I found
that half of the solution in a well-known bug, documented here by David
Ellsworth's compilation on tricks, tips, and bugs for the TI-85 and
TI-92 (SEE ATTACHMENT for full explanation).  Here's the basic commands
to follow

(I like to use the 10 from the 10^ button for <ch>, although Ellsworth
lists many choices)

 A=<ch>
 Eq>St(A,A)
 sub(A,2,1)->A

Now, edit a program and after you stop it, recall the string "A"
for example:

program HI
Disp "Hello there"
STOP

(Then hit RCL, above STO->, and then A)
        :Note, the calc turns on the ALPHA lock for you

This will produce a block chracter (the null character, and
interestingly enough the exact opposite of the edit-lock character)

Does anyone know how to create the edit-lock character on a calc w/o any
special programs, possibly using a similar method to the one described
here?  If so, mail me.

So now your program should look like this

Program HI
Disp "Hello there"
STOP
"o"

Where o is a block characer.
Delete the quotes around the block and run the program.  Edit it and you
should see the last line is filled with 12 gibberish characters.  Delete
all but the last two from the line.  DelC that line, and then UNDEL the
line twice.  You should now have the last line with a block, a greek
character, a block, and a greek character.  DelC that whole line.  Now,
use the menu command and in place of the text to be displayed, UNDEL
that line.

EX.
Disp "Jordan's"
Disp "Screwy"
Disp "Screen"
menu (1,"UNDEL",L
LBL L

And hit the UNDEL button where it says UNDEL.  That will recall those
four characters into the text area of the menu command.  Now run that
program, and you should see gibberish fly across the bottom of the
screen where the menu is.

NOTE: The menu command works fine, in fact, you can use it like normal
if you know what button does what.  All those characters do is screw up
the screen, not the actual program execution.

That's it.  Enjoy, and if anyone has any other, similar things, or this
trick is already well documented, please post or mail what you have
found to me.  I am especially interested in finding how to create the
hex (FF) character otherwise known as the edit-lock character without
any special programs on the calculator.  After all, who wouldn't.  Hope
you enjoyed the trick, sorry about the length and organization of this
post.

                                        Jordan Wiens
/questions and comments welcome/
/---------------------------------------------------------------\
|   Jordan Wiens                       Oh that a man's reach    |
|   gaw87299@pegasus.cc.ucf.edu         should exceed his grasp,|
|                                       or what's a heaven for? |
\---------------------------------------------------Somebody----/

--------------66F631D541CD

   TI-85 and TI-92 tips, tricks, bugs, and undocumented features
             by David Ellsworth (davidells@aol.com)
                         Created: 1996.02.20
                   Last Modified: 1996.05.06
                   Daily Version: 1

This file can be downloaded from:
ftp://users.aol.com/davidells/TI-Calc/TI_bugs_etc.zip

On the TI-85, there is a bug that allows the NUL character (ASCII 0)
to be created without a link cable. Just use the following script:

 A=<ch>
 Eq>St(A,A)
 sub(A,2,1)->A

Replace <ch> with one of the following characters:

 The "10" character from 10^
 The superscript "x" from xth root
 The ">" character from unit conversions
 The "E" character (the [EE] key)
 One of the "?", "#", "&amp;", "'", "@", "$", "~", or "|" characters
 The upside-down "?" or "!" characters
 Any other character that does not have a token associated with it
  and cannot exist in a variable name

After running that script, the variable "A" will be a one-character
string containing the NUL character.

If you convert "A" to equation with St>Eq, then convert it back to a
string with Eq>St, even stranger things will happen. Here is a script
to create a 51979 byte string that takes up no memory:

 A=<ch>
 Eq>St(A,A)
 sub(A,2,1)->A
 St>Eq(A,A)
 ""->B
 Eq>St(A,A)

When the last line is executed, the memory following the "A" variable
is overwritten with garbage. The "B" variable follows "A" in memory,
so one of the effects of this is that the size of "B" is modified. A
more detailed explanation of what happens is beyond the scope of this
file.

--------------66F631D541CD--