Synthetic Division Program for the 82

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Synthetic Division Program for the 82

Greetings one and all to both lists.

I am posting this in both places for two reasons.  First, I'm hoping the
Graph-TI folks might find some nice use out of this program, and second,
I'm hoping that the Calc-TI folks might be able to translate this for the
85, or have some suggestions as to how to improve it.

PROGRAM:SYNTHDIV
:Lbl 3
:ClrHome
:ClrList L5,L6
:Disp "ENTER DEGREE OF"
:Input "POLYNOMIAL ",N
:N+1->dim (L5)
:N+1->dim (L6)
:Disp "COEFFICIENTS OF"
:Disp "POLYNOMIAL?"
:For(I,1,N+1,1)
:Input C
:C->L5(I)
:End
:Lbl 1
:Disp "ROOT TO TEST?"
:Input X
:L5(1)->L6(1)
:For(J,1,N,1)
:L6(J)*X->M
:L5(J+1)+M->L6(J+1)
:End
:L6(N+1)->R
:Disp "REMAINDER = ",R
:Pause
:Lbl 5
:Menu("NOW WHAT?","NEW ROOT",1,"SEE COEFFS",2,"NEW PROBLEM",3,"END",4)
:Lbl 2
:Disp "BOTTOM ROW AFTER"
:Disp "SYNTH DIVISION"
:Disp L6>Frac
:Disp "LAST DIGIT IS"
:Disp "REMAINDER."
:Disp "SEE L6 FOR FULL"
:Disp "ROW IF CUT OFF."
:Pause
:Goto 5
:Lbl 4
:Stop

The big translating question I have also concerns with in extending this
program is in looking at testing complex roots.  The 85 can handle Complex
Numbers, but I don't know how well, or if well enough to run through a
program like this.  Second, the 83 can as well, but I don't know if you
can put an imaginary number in a List on an 83.

Also, I don't know if something like this is already posted in some TI
library somewhere.  If it is, could someone show me variations on it, and
if it isn't, could someone help me post it there?  Thanks.

I would appreciate any help that you can offer me for this and would hope
to return the favor somehow.

Thanks in advance.  Good night all.

        -- Johnny "Big Dog"

|    ---------   |  John M.H. Miyares (aka "Johnny Big Dog")          |
|        |       |  Home:  1 Kavanaugh Pl. Bar Harbor, ME  04609      |
|        |       |  Work:  Department of Mathematics, MDI High School |
|    ----+----   |  P.O. Box 180, Mount Desert, ME  04660             |
|        |       |  (h) (207) 288-8272                                |
|        |       |  (w) (207) 288-5011, Voice Mail Box #820           |
|    ____|       |  E-Mail:  jmiyares@mdihs.u98.k12.me.us             |