Re: Why are TI Calcs so inferior?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Why are TI Calcs so inferior?

>Face it.  School is often really hard.  Would you rather spend a night
>memorizing e and figuring out how to prove that inane formula, or
>studying so that you can pass your history (or whatever) and just let
>your calculator do the hard math work?
>The point here is that almost everyone will never use anything above
>algebra (no trig, calc, geometry, anything) ever again once they get out
>of school, so it's not really worth wasting time on.

THANK YOU!!!! I agree so much with this! In high school, you have a lot of
classes in one day especially if you go to a Math/Science intensive school.
You have these classes all in one day and you get assignments in them all
in one day so it is senseless to have to worry about doing all the
calculations of one class manually. It would drive one crazy. At the same
time I have my AP Physics teacher on my back about finishing my test in
time, I also have a government teacher in the next period who wants me to
write a 5 page essay on the efficiency of political action committees. As
well as being in high school and taking a full load of work on, I also take
a college course at Polytechnic University one night a week for 3 hours
(Psychology). In college, things seem to be a little more spaced out so it
is easier for people who are in college to say "Oh, just do it manually,
learn how to REALLY do the problem". But it is not that easy. You have to
think about the time frame that high school students have to deal with.
Even though I use my calc a lot in Math, Physics, and Chem does not mean
that I am not learning the course and not getting a full understanding of
the material because you think I may have become dependent on my calc. It's
not like my calc is a drug and if you take it away I am going to go into
convulsions or something like that. I am not a slacker. No one should
generalize high school students today who carry a load of APs on their
backs and need the calc to get through the course. Some of you guys are
sounding like, "Well, sonny!! Back in my day there were no calculators and
we had to do everything by HAND!! And we had to walk to school in 12 feet
of snow BAREFOOT!!......."

Come on people, cut us high school students some slack. Thank you.

My $0.02

--Caitlin Keidel