Re: Why are TI Calcs so inferior?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Why are TI Calcs so inferior?

In article <0mXwDl200bkv0Rd900@andrew.cmu.edu>, Nicholas P Konidaris Ii
<npk+@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

>Sadly, a lot of _good_ students I know, who have done well on AP exams
>(4s and 5s), don't have this drilled into their head like they have 6*6.
> Why is that?  Because they learned it ONCE in Algebra, or precalc, or
>whatever, and ever since then they have been using their calculators.
>
>Are graphing calculators nice?  Sure, they can show a few things which
>would be very hard to show w/ just chalk.  But they don't teach you
>calculus, they teach you how to plug equations in.

Good points.  Some might say that proving the derivative of X^N is what
Calculus books are for.

Would anyone agrue that calculators should not be used in a classroom?

Personally, I was taught the proofs for everything I did.  Things, such as
limits, derivatives, and integrations, were drilled rigorously.  I also
did very well on the B.C. exam. (5)

I guess I am one of the lucky few who was taught "the right way"

/jjv

<pre>
 Jonathan J. Vafai                     New York University
 mailto:jjv200@acf2.nyu.edu        Computer Advocacy @ NYU
 http://pages.nyu.edu/~jjv200/           PGP + Blue Ribbon
</pre>