Re: Why are TI Calcs so inferior?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Why are TI Calcs so inferior?

On Sun, 17 Nov 1996 15:57:31 GMT, lcappite@sprynet.com (Goatboy)
wrote:
>You mean SRAM, the stuff used in caches. I always knew they were the
>fastest RAM about in 1993, but are they still the fastest, or is SDRAM
>and MDRAM faster? I mean MDRAM has a transfer rate of over 800MB/sec.

L2 cache ram is slower than that, but L1 caches (the ram mounted
directly onto the microprocessor chip) are still slightly faster.
Realisitically, though, MDRAM doesn't really run at native speeds, at
least not all of the time.  800 mb/sec equals a byte transfer rate of
1.25 ns per byte, and a 200MHz pentium is still faster than that
internally.  I'm not sure is even possible without some major quantum
tinkering, that is, I haven't heard much about MDRAM.

-Mel

<pre>
--
The TI Memory Expansion Homepage