Re: Why are TI Calcs so inferior?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Why are TI Calcs so inferior?

<Mel Tsai <tsaimelv@PILOT.MSU.EDU> had this to say>

> On Thu, 14 Nov 1996 18:39:07 GMT, lcappite@sprynet.com (Goatboy)
> wrote:
> >I've been looking over the tech specs for all the TI calculators, and
> >I can't argue that these calculators are spectacular. They are the
> >most ingenious pieces of equipment for school use and such. However,
> >they're hardware is very inferior. The hard disk so to speak only is
> >about 30K.
>
> Totally different technologies.  It's nonvolatile static ram.  Regular

Static RAM is NOT "none-volatile" and it is NOT the memory of choice for
calculators!!

> computer ram (simms) is not the same, and it's not even close to a
> hard disk.  Computer ram is a form of DRAM (dynamic ram), which uses a
> capacitor to store each bit.  Static ram, on the other hand, uses
> (about) 6 transistors to store a bit.  The latest chip manufacturing
> processes only allow for about 1 to 2 million transistors on a single
> chip, so that's why high-capacity static ram is so expensive.  If
> someone were to come up with a way of making static ram as cheap as
> hard disks, a new age in computing would result because NO ONE would
> even think about buying the "slow" hard drive.  Static ram can be kept
> intact on very low power, whereas dram requires refresh circuitry and
> takes up too much power.

You are totally Wrong about the power consumption of power by the two
types of RAM.  Static RAM consumes much more power then DRAM!  That is the
reason that DRAM can be packed to high densitys on a single IC and Static
RAM can not even realize a fraction of this density because it would FRY
itself with the heat build up from all the power it consumes!  And who
told you that static RAM is none-volatile?  It is not!

Don't rave on about a subject till you are qualified!

Do you also know that static RAM is also used in computers?  Main memory
is usually Dynamic RAM and cache memory is usually high speed static RAM!

> This is also why a modern pcmcia 2mb ram disk costs almost $200.
> Static ram is very low power, no moving parts, extremely fast (easily
> 10 times faster than the fastest hard drive) and very small.  You get

Let's see....DRAM at 60-70 nanoseconds and a Hard-Drive at 10
milliseconds......where's the TI-85?  That would be 142,857 times as
fast!

The reason that a calc is a rather slow device is that it's routines are
coded in masked ROMS, slow compared to DRAM, and it is an interpreted
language vs the faster compiled code run in DRAM on computers.  The
computer requires a ROM BIOS for it's IO routines, but that is why they
use Shadow RAM to transfer the ROM code into and speed up execution.

> what you pay for!
>
> >The processor runs at 6MHz?
>
> People take computing power for granted these days.  At 6MHz, the Z80
> processor can execute over 1 million 8 bit additions in ONE SECOND.
> The Z80 was designed in the early 70's!!!!  If a human can do one 8
> bit addition per second in their head, it would take over two weeks of
> nonstop adding to do what this $0.50 cent chip can do in one second.
> Now, compare this to your average pentium and all of a sudden we're
> next to nothing.
>
> >It only has an assembly language, not something better?
>
> The only reason good languages come out for a platform is because it's
> a PLATFORM.  That is, there's enough support and it's used so much
> that it's profitable for a high level language (such as C++) to be
> developed for it.  Frankly, I doubt Borland will ever even look at a
> TI calculator!
>
> >My gosh, on today's technology, hd
> >space is 6 *cents* a meg? And hard drives are the size of a TI calc.
> >If u shrink down the hd to that of a mini cassette, and put it in the
> >TI, u could get about 1/3 a gig.

Lets include the rather large power supply, that is required to power the
drive and also the interface circuitry that is required and you would have
to go steady with the Eveready  Rabbit to stay in batteries.

Assume a vitue if you have it not.

Wild Bill