Re: Why are TI Calcs so inferior?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Why are TI Calcs so inferior?

>And finally, if you are in high school, you don't really need anything
>in the TI9x or TI8x range.  I believe that most high schools do a very
>poor job of training people rigerously today.  Qualitative approaches
>are good, but it all should be done with good old paper and pencil, and
>when you've truly mastered it, you can go on.

I am in high school and my teachers recommended that we get TIs. You cannot
do the extremely complex calculations that come with AP Physics and AP
Chemistry and Calculus with "good old paper and pencil". There is simply
not enough time. When I am taking a AP Physics test which must be done
within 40 minutes, if I were forced to do every calculation with a paper
and pencil it would take me forever to finish the test. Oh yeah, I guess I
should just memorize the entire sine, cosine and tangent tables and I
should memorize all the constants and conversions and things like that.
Come on, in high school today, we're taking more and more advanced college
courses and they are starting to demand more than just a little scientific
solar calc. I do agree that high school students do not NEED a TI-92
because most teachers would not accept it and you cannot use it on any of
the college board exams, but any TI calc in the 8x range is very useful and
helpful to the high school student who's school program includes a lot of
calculation intensive courses.

--Caitlin