Re: What is the best TI

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: What is the best TI

Answer: It depends... they all have their advantages...

The TI-82 is what most calculus and below students have.  It is a good
entry-level graphing calculator.
The TI-83 is basically an enhanced TI-82 with added statistics and finance
functions, string handling, assembly support, and a slightly redesigned
case.  It is keystroke compatible with the TI-82, and all data on the TI-82
can be transferred to the TI-83, but only lists L1-L6 can be transferred
from TI-83 to TI-82.  The TI-83 is hard to find!

The TI-85 is the oldest of the calculators you are considering, but does
offer conversions, string handling, and a higher resolution display than
the TI-82/83. The menu system is less obtrusive. It does not have a table
function (programs are available to approximate this), and assembly
language (through ZShell) is supported.  It is best suited for advanced
calculus and engineering.

The TI-92 is TI's most powerful graphing calculator.  It has a higher
resolution display, more memory, and a QWERTY keyboard.  It does
pretty-print and symbolic everything.  A geometry application is built in.
Assembly language is supported through Fargo...  This calculator is best
suited for anyone with deep pokets, as it costs about twice as much as any
of TI's other models.

Well... that's my take on the situation.  See
http://www.ti.com/calc/docs/gmtrx.html for a comparison chart, and
http://www.ticalc.org for info on ZShell and Fargo.

Personally, I have the TI-85 (for 4 years) and the TI-92 (since September)
and like them both for what they do.

Most HS and college teachers recommend the TI-82 or TI-83 for classes, if
you are new to the graphing calculators, go with the teacher's
recommendation, as you will be able to follow along better.  If you don't
(and even if you do) spend an hour or two familiarizing yourself with where
everything is and how it works *before* you start using it in class.

Enough to make your head spin, isn't it?

At 00:56 11/15/96 GMT, GZA@TIAC.NET wrote:
>Ok,
>  What the hell is the best calculator to buy?  Is it Ti 82, 83, 85,
>or 92.  Who really knows cause I know that I don't and I would really
>like to know.  If anyone will share this thier vast knowledge please
>email me at Gza@tiac.net or just post under this article. Thank You

| Peter Kolbus                           +1.810.474.0872 |
| ae607@detroit.freenet.org      #include <disclaimer.h> |
| Due to financial difficulties, the light at the end of |
|   the tunnel has been permanently disconnected.        |
| The packet goes out the card, into the copper, out     |
|   the router, onto the fiber, across the world, thru   |
|   the copper............       NOTHING BUT NET.        |
| ***Written using 100% recycled electrons***            |
|         *** (80% post-consumer) ***                    |