Re: Best TI Calculator

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Best TI Calculator

I am in a mathematics/computer science track in HS and now college, and I
own both the TI-85 and TI-92.  I bought the TI-85 shortly after it was
introduced for several reasons:
1)The Casio FX-7700 I had went through batteries (coincell I might add) way
too quickly...
2)The Solver
3)Conversions
4)Memory capacity
5)Easy programming (compared to casio)

I purchased the TI-92 earlier this year for:
1)Memory capacity
2)Hi-res, split screen
3)Symbolic everything
4)Tables
5)QWERTY keyboard
6)Fargo

Even though the rest of the class used TI-82s, I was familiar enough with
the TI-85 and TI-92 to do the same things (and sometimes in better ways)
and follow along.

The TI-83 had just come out and was in short supply... I didn't like the
step down, although the case looked kinda kewl...

At 18:18 11/14/96 -0500, Johnny \"Big Dog\" Miyares wrote:
>On Thu, 14 Nov 1996, Chad Palmer wrote:
>
>> I'd get the 83 for 4 reasons:  First of all, the design of the calculator
>> looks better than an 82 or 85.  Second of all, It has Z80 programming built
>> in.  That Means that assembly language programs can be created for it
>> without using something like ZShell or Fargo.  Thirdly, It has a catalog;
>> which for people like me who do not have a graph link makes it really easy
>> to enter programs into it.  Finally, fourth it IS easier to opperate than
>> the 85.  I have a friend with an 85 and I don't like using it.  True, it
has
>> menus at the bottom of the screen, but the words are in little boxes that
>> are often hard to read.  There's my two cents worth.
>>
>> Chad Palmer
>> palmer@carol.net
>>

>-------
>
>I'm curious, as one who prefers the "early eighties" to the 85/92, about
>the population distribution of those who prefer the 85/92 format.  Where
>are you in your mathematical/educational/technical lives?  What do you
>primarily do with your calculators?  I've seen a lot of traffic primarily
>for programming concerns.  Is that the prevailing factor?
>
>As for me, for my major computer needs, I own a computer.  When I need a
>calculator, I pull out my 82.  I am a teacher/mathematician for whom the
>82 is simple to use and serves the purpose who sees no need for something
>as powerful as the 92.
>
>Could someone take for a ride on the clue train here?
>
>        -- J. Big Dog

>|                |                                                    |
>|    ---------   |  John M.H. Miyares (aka "Johnny Big Dog")          |
>|        |       |  Home:  1 Kavanaugh Pl. Bar Harbor, ME  04609      |
>|        |       |  Work:  Department of Mathematics, MDI High School |
>|    ----+----   |  P.O. Box 180, Mount Desert, ME  04660             |
>|        |       |  (h) (207) 288-8272                                |
>|        |       |  (w) (207) 288-5011, Voice Mail Box #820           |
>|    ____|       |  E-Mail:  jmiyares@mdihs.u98.k12.me.us             |

| Peter Kolbus                           +1.810.474.0872 |
| ae607@detroit.freenet.org      #include <disclaimer.h> |
| Due to financial difficulties, the light at the end of |
|   the tunnel has been permanently disconnected.        |
| The packet goes out the card, into the copper, out     |
|   the router, onto the fiber, across the world, thru   |
|   the copper............       NOTHING BUT NET.        |
| ***Written using 100% recycled electrons***            |
|         *** (80% post-consumer) ***                    |