Re: Help 3 vars. equ's

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Help 3 vars. equ's

On Wed, 13 Nov 1996, aaron wrote:

> My math teacher said that there was a way to use the matrices to solve a
> system of 3 equations with 3 differnt variables. I have a TI-85
>         Does anyone know how to do it????
> please help i hate writing all that stuff out!! hehe :)
>
> Thanks

I've got one that will do a system of n equations with n variables that is
based on the fact that any system of equations can be written in the form

[A][X] = [B], where [A] is a matrix of coefficients, [X] is the variable
matrix and [B] is the set of answers.  The solution for [X] = the inverse
of [A] multiplied by [B].  The only trick is that you need to check to see
whether the determinant of [A] = 0 or not to determine if the inverse of
[A] exists, and thus, a solution to the system exists.

I've got it for the 82, and the algorithm is pretty easy to translate for
the 85 if you are interested.  I'll do what I can.

        -- J. Big Dog

|    ---------   |  John M.H. Miyares (aka "Johnny Big Dog")          |
|        |       |  Home:  1 Kavanaugh Pl. Bar Harbor, ME  04609      |
|        |       |  Work:  Department of Mathematics, MDI High School |
|    ----+----   |  P.O. Box 180, Mount Desert, ME  04660             |
|        |       |  (h) (207) 288-8272                                |
|        |       |  (w) (207) 288-5011, Voice Mail Box #820           |
|    ____|       |  E-Mail:  jmiyares@mdihs.u98.k12.me.us             |