Re: Which TI calc to get? (fwd)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Which TI calc to get? (fwd)

On Wed, 13 Nov 1996, Tony Lieuallen wrote:

> Could someone tell me why exactly the 82 is regarded as so much easier
> than the 85?  Is it because our teachers know the 82 and can hold our
> hands through using it and we don't have to know anything?  I have an 85,
> and like it infinitely more than the 82.

A couple of reasons for me.  One, I learned on an 81.  The 82 was a nice
step up.  I suppose it is no different for folks who prefer Mac to PC or
vice versa.

Using an 85 reminds me of using older versions of WordPerfect before popup
windows.  If you didn't know what function key to hit, you were lost.

Second.  The way our school has purchased calculators, we have ended  up
shuffling 81's to the Algebra I classes and 82's to the Algebra II's with
now 83's going to the post Algebra II level courses.  The 85 is a tough
transition to make for someone who learned on an 81, and we can't require
Freshmen in High School to purchase a TI-85 given only two years of math
required.

Second, as a high school math teacher, I've had a hell of a time trying to
do activities that tie in 82 and 85 together, espescially in the realm of
data analysis and curve fitting.  I prefer the "STAT PLOT" features of the
82 and 83 which are easy to view and superimpose onto curves.

Unless someone has a program for the 85 which can improve the statistical
graphing features of the 85, I'll stand by the 82/83.

If you have any further concerns, I'd be happy to discuss them with anyone
outside of the listserv.

        -- J. Big Dog