Here's how one fixes PUTFARGO.BAT

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Here's how one fixes PUTFARGO.BAT

The problem is that David made a very slight typo. He wrote

@echo off

\exe\ml92b core.o %1.92b
if errorlevel 1 goto end
\exe\sum92 %1.92b>nul

:end

Under certain conditions, this will work fine, but it often fails under
Windows '95 (Yes, from the DOS Shell. Dragging the file is an entirely
different matter...) If you had no problems with the original batch,
ignore the rest of this letter. Why are you even reading this? You
obviously don't need help. With your link, that is.

I love Windows '95, so I'll tell you how to fix it (If you have been
having problems under normal DOS, or OS/2, this will fix those too.
Cheap plug for an under-rated operating system :). Change the batch file
to read:

@echo off

.\exe\ml92b core.o %1
if errorlevel 1 goto end
.\exe\sum92 %1>nul

:end

Notice the "." added before the \exe? Current directory. In the original
batch, it should only have worked if you put fargo in the root
directory, and made \exe a subdirectory straight off there. Few sane
peopel would do that. Also, notice the removal of ".92b"? Most of us are
in the habit of adding the appropriate extension ourselves, right?

To use the new batch, go to the DOS Shell, change to the directory
\fargo (Or wherever) and type

putfargo <backup.92b>

In the original batch, if you made <backup.92b> something like, say,
backup.92b, it would give you an error:

ML92B v1.0  Copyright 1996 by David Ellsworth

Error opening backup file "backup.92b.92b"

It tried to add the extension and couldn't find the file.

So, use the batch here, or fix it your own way (I suppose you could put
the actual path to your \exe directory, but it wouldn't be nice...)

P.S. I don't care what you think of Windows '95, the TI-92 vs. the
HP-48G(X), and the like. If you have opinions, I suggest you attach them
to an E-Mail which makes a positive contribution to this list.

However, if you do need further help, or if you want to know how to make
PUTFARGO work when you drag backups onto it, or anything else that
doesn't involve rodentia and accordions, don't hesitate to mail me.