Re: TI-92 + Fargo = Audio Wierdness!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

On Mon, 11 Nov 1996, Tim Gerla wrote:

> I was trying to make a speaker click through Fargo with a small 68k
> prog, but I was not getting anything. I figured the speaker I was
> using was too small, and the TI's output was too low. So, I hooked the

[snip]

> Also, when I did not have the plug plugged into the calculator, the
> boom box made noises that sounded like a telephone pickup coil placed
> on a transformer or something like that. The humming changed volume
> when I changed the position on the calculator, it was loudest by the
> screen. OK, does this mean that the TI-92 is outputting extremely high
> EMF? If I can pick it up with just a 2.5mm jack, what would it sound
> like with a coil? I cannot hear anything from just the jack with the
> TI turned off! Any ideas?
>
> So, I hope we all don't get cancer from our calculators!

Try tuning to a spot on an FM radio where there's no station.  Then grab
your 85 (I know the 85 does it, dunno bout the 92) and hold it close
(~4ft) to the antenna.  You can hear the processor idling, and
calculating, and doing screen updates.  I kinda wondered about cancer
m'self.... I wonder how much EMF it's kickin out. I'll have to check that
out tomorrow..  Anyway, you can hear an 85... try a 92.  Could this be our
elusive radio link?  :) [doubt it]

<pre>
--
Chris Kuethe <ckuethe@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca> LPGV Electronics and Controls