TI-92 + Fargo = Audio Wierdness!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

TI-92 + Fargo = Audio Wierdness!

I was trying to make a speaker click through Fargo with a small 68k
prog, but I was not getting anything. I figured the speaker I was
using was too small, and the TI's output was too low. So, I hooked the
white and ground wires from the link port to my boom box's mic input,
and cranked up the volume. The boom box started making really weird
noises! In fargo, the TI made a high pitched buzzing. When I pressed a
key, it made a tone. When I ran assorted Fargo progs, it make other
noises. When I exited Fargo, the TI made a low pitched throbbing or
clicking type noise. It made the same key press noise. Then I entered
sin(cos(tan(-6x/i/))). This calculation made a lot of strange fuzzing
noise, and when it was done, it made a sort of a thump. Weird!

Also, when I did not have the plug plugged into the calculator, the
boom box made noises that sounded like a telephone pickup coil placed
on a transformer or something like that. The humming changed volume
when I changed the position on the calculator, it was loudest by the
screen. OK, does this mean that the TI-92 is outputting extremely high
EMF? If I can pick it up with just a 2.5mm jack, what would it sound
like with a coil? I cannot hear anything from just the jack with the
TI turned off! Any ideas?

So, I hope we all don't get cancer from our calculators!

-Tim
<pre>
--
Tim Gerla    |   timg@climax.polaristel.net