Re: @@How do you shade and graph inequalities on the 82/92?@@

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: @@How do you shade and graph inequalities on the 82/92?@@

No, I don't have a 92.

The "Shade(" command will accept 2 or 3 arguments.  The first argument of
shade is the lower boundary.  The TI will not shade below this boundary.
So, for example, if you entered something like
Shade(1,2)
your 82 would not shade anything below y=1.  And, similarly, the second
argument is the upper boundary.  In the above example, you would have a
shaded area across the screen between y=1 and y=2 (my examples are being
done on a standard zoom, if you plan to try them).

However, most people want to shade equations/inequalities, not bars on the
screen.  To do that, replace one or both of the first two arguments with a
variable.

For example, if I wanted to graph y<x, I'd enter Shade(-10,x).  Try it.
You end up with the lower left corner of your screen shaded.  Or, if you
wanted to graph above the equation, as in y>x/3, you could enter
Shade(x/3,10).
Then -10 in the first example and the 10 in the second example were just
the top and bottom of the screen.  You could also enter ymin or ymax
instead of the numbers themselves.  Or, if you want to graph something
like....   -5<x<3x, you could enter
Shade(                    ; the shade command itself
-5                            ; the lower bound
,                              ; the comma to separate entries
3x                           ; the upper bound
)                              ; closing parenthesis.  It isn't always
needed, but its safer with it.
So that becomes, in one line, Shade(-5,3x).  Trying it, it graphs both
lines as it works, then shades everything past the intersection.

Of course, that makes a big blob on your screen.  If you want to still be
able to see other things, you can use the third parameter.

And the third argument is hard to explain.
Enter
Shade(5,10,4)
and
Shade(-10,-5,2).

The one on bottom is less dense, right?  That's what the third argument
does.

Shade(-10,-5,1) is the same as Shade(-10,-5) without a third argument.

The third argument can not go above 9, and it must be a positive whole
integer..

Any questions?