Graphing limited domain on TI-85

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Jonathan Todd Samuel wrote:
> Anyway, you need to enter
>
> y=(x^2 -4) (x>5) (x<10)
>
> if you want to see the function  y=x^2-4  on the range  5<x<10 . Please
> refer to my last posting for an explanation.
>
> -Jonathan

Here's an improvement on the improved version. You'll notice that when
the x value is outside of the defined range, y will equal 0. That is
because, as we all know, the zero returned by one or both of the test
functions, multiplied by the rest of the equation, will result in zero.
This all means that there will be a line y=0 outside the domain of the
function.

This can be fixed by dividing, rather than multiplying, the test
functions. For example: y=(x^2 -4)/((x>5)(x<10)). This will make the
function undefined outside of the specified domain, resulting in no line
on the screen outside the domain. :)

<pre>
--
Greg Hill