Re: Which TI does your school require

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

James Rankin <monty@nrv.net> wrote:

>I agree that the 92 is best for advanced math, although I strongly
>recommend it not be used in any classes lower than Algebra 2. The first
>year of Algebra, in my opinion, should be calculator-less totally. Then,
>the next year, a simple one should be used. Once a student gets to the
>higher math, go ahead and use the mega-calcs. This is what I've done in
>math classes, and it has worked out very well. I'm glad I can use the
>calculator as a tool, and not a crutch.

I personaly had only a 4-function calculator until Algebra II, when my
class began with TI-81's.  I got a 92 this year, after the AP exam in
Calc BC.  A perfect time to begin with the 92, IMHO.  I know that it
would be somewhat helpful in geometry, but really I'm afraid I
wouldn't have learned my techniques of integration if I had the 92
during the BC course.

I suggest that the 92 is *perfect* for a Calc III course.  Sometimes
useful before then, of course, but I myself think that the best time
to get it is after completing BC.  Otherwise, the temptation to abuse
it might be just too great.  :-)

Ben Edelman
BEdelman@ix.netcom.com