*** Calc-TI FAQ Information - Read this first!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

*** Calc-TI FAQ Information - Read this first!

Hello All!

Most questions asked in this newsgroup have been asked and answered many
times before. Some of these questions and answers have been compiled into
the "New Calc-TI FAQ". In addition to being posted everytime it is updated,
you can always find the latest version of this FAQ at:

http://www.efd.lth.se/~d96mli/tifaq.txt

or in HTML-format at:

http://www.bath.ac.uk/~ch6sjb/tifaq/ti-faq.htm

If you do not have access to WWW you can also get the FAQ by sending mail
to ftpmail@ticalc.org with "GET /pub/text/calc-ti_newfaq.txt" (without
quotes) in the message body.

Please check the FAQ to see if your question is already answered before
posting a question to the group. Thank you!

The latest release, 20 Sep 1996, contains the following questions and their
answers:

                        *** Table of contents ***
    1.7 I can't seem to unsubscribe from the Graph-TI or Calc-TI mailing
        list. What shall I do?
    1.8 Are the mailing list archived? Is there a digest version?
    1.9 What other TI-related FAQs exist?
    1.10 I'm looking for a certain TI-related file. Where can I find it?

2 General questions
    2.1 What are the differences between the different TI calculators?
    2.2 a) How do I check what ROM version I have?
        b) What is the latest ROM-version for the different calculators?
    2.3 What's the difference between different ROM versions?
    2.4 What is the selftest and what's its purpose?
    2.5 What processors are in the TI calculators?
    2.6 How much memory has the TI calculators?
    2.7 Are there any undocumented features/"Easter eggs" on TI's calcs?
    2.8 Are there any known bugs in TI calculators?
    2.9 My calculator has locked, how do I reset it?
    2.10 Are there any viruses for TI Calculators?
    2.11 I've got debris inside my screen, what shall I do?
    2.12 How can I reach Texas Instrument's calculator support?
    2.13 What is CBL?
    2.14 I heard about a calculator called TI-95. What's that?
    2.15 I don't have a link, how can I enter *.82p/*.85p program files
         into the calculator
    2.16 Is it possible to hide a TI-85 program on the calculator?
    2.17 Where can I find Mortal Kombat for TI-85/TI-82?
    2.18 How do I open my calculator?
    2.19 In which order where the calculators released?
    2.20 Why aren't they numbered chronologically?
    2.21 How much power does the TI-85 draw when it's ON/OFF/in ZShell?

3 Math related questions
    3.1 How do I take the logarithm of a base other than 10 or e?
    3.2 How do I get the root of the n:th order on any calculator?
    3.3 What is the equation for drawing a circle?

4 TI-Basic programming questions
    4.1 Can I delete a variable from inside a program?
    4.2 What are Output "CBL" and Input "CBL" and how do they work?
    4.3 Can I draw a "white" line on the 85, like I can on my 82?
    4.4 What else does TI-82 have that TI-85 hasn't?
    4.5 Why do I get an Error Message 15 when I try to edit this program?
    4.6 What is edit-locking and how do I edit-lock a program?
    4.7 How do I find the length of a REAL variable?

5 Link questions
    5.1 What can I do with a PC link?
    5.2 What are the different links?
    5.3 How do I build my own link?
    5.4 What link programs are available?
    5.5 Are the Graph-links for the TI-85 and the TI-82 the same?
    5.6 Are the calc-to-calc cables the same for TI-82 and TI-85?
    5.7 I've lost my calc-to-calc cable, where can I get a new?
    5.8 I get a 'transmission error' when I try to send a variable from
         one calc to another. What's wrong?
    5.9 Can I make two programs link to each other?
    5.10 How do I transfer the programs that I download from this forum to
         my calculator?
    5.11 I have a mac. How can I make the link software recognize this
         *.85x file?
    5.12 Why can't I build a *REAL* Graph-Link that will work with TI's
         Windows software?

6 Accelerating the calculator
    6.1 What is Turbo-TI?
    6.2 Can I accelerate any other calculator than the TI-85?
    6.3 Where can I find more info on accelerating

7 ZShell
    7.1 What is ZShell?
    7.2 Which is the latest version of ZShell?
    7.3 Which ROM versions does it work with?
    7.4 Why is there no ZShell for TI-82?
    7.5 Will there be a ZShell for TI-92?
    7.6 Where can I find more info on ZShell?
    7.7 I have more programs than will fit in the ZShell menu. Do I have
        to delete some of them?
    7.8 What is SENGINE and where can I get it?
    7.9 Why doesn't TI support assembler programming?
    7.10 After I've used ZShell my menutext is underlined! Why?
    7.11 Is it possible to transfer ZShell from one calc to another without
         using a backup?

8 TI-83 Assembler
    8.1 When I try to run an ASM program I get SYNTAX ERROR. Why?

9 TI Emulators
    9.1 What TI emulators are available?
    9.2 How do I get TI85ROM.BIN for the TI-85 emulator?
    9.3 Why do I get 'ROM FAIL' when I run selftest on the TI-85 emulator?
    9.4 Why can't I get ZShell to run on my TI-85 emulator?

Appendices
    A. A uuencoded version of fix.com.
    B. ASCII codes for non-ASCII TI characters.

--
 Mattias Lindqvist
 FAQ maintainer