Re: Ray Tracing / Fargo

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Ray Tracing / Fargo

> >Would it be possible for the TI-92 to have a Fargo ray tracing program,
> >like Polyray?

> That would be great! I don't see why it would not work, albiet slowly.

Well, one of the major problems is this...  Ray tracing is pretty much
useless in a monochrome color system.  Even if the fabled 4-color grayscale
system to be incorporated in Fargo does exist, there would still be no
comparison to a 256 color rendering system, or a better 24-bit system.  I
could be wrong, but I don't think that much clarity or performance could be
delivered in monochrome, nor do I think that software with that much
power/features could be effectively fit into the limited ram, (when you
consider the size of textures, lighting, cameras, previews, views,
text-based interpreters, a cad program of some sort, etc.)

Aaron N. Tubbs
aaron@parrett.net
http://www.parrett.net/~poral