Re: Challenge

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Challenge

: > : I am challenging all TI programers to create a
: > : program that plays chess against you.  The object
: > : is to make the computer as fast and as good as
: > : possible.
: > :
: > :     Believe it or not, this IS possible!!!!!!  I
: >
: > I find it hard to belive you can write a chess algorithm on 32K of
memory...
: >
:
: I know its off subject, sort of, but the assembly version of chess for
: the Hp-48 stands at around 10k.  It's biggest problem is speed (you can
: only do so much with a calculator processor;), but I understand its a
: fairly worthy opponent.  The Z-shell version should be comparable in
: size, and even with th Z-shell overhead, there should be plenty of room.

Well, the HP48 chess program I am working on is currently
under 5k.  And it need only 3k of free RAM to run.  It is
also much faster then the HP48 program mentioned above.

It plays a perfectly legal game of chess.  It includes ALL
chess moves.  The only things missing is that it allows
repeated positions (chess is a draw when a position repeats
3 times), and it allows 50+ moves without a capture or a
pawn move.  The latter is easily fixed if I decide it is
needed.

As it is, the program is easily the best and fastest playing
HP48 chess program.  But I am not yet finished.  The finished
program will be a bit bigger (still under 10k), but most
of the extra size will be for features (a board editor that
will let the user create their own positions is one example).

It currently has 4 levels that are playable (longest moves
under 10 minutes).  I expect to improve this even more.

So, calculator chess is very possible!

(If you guys get assembly programming for the ti92, maybe
I will pop over and write a near master level chess program
for you!)

Most of all, HAVE FUN!
dan  (kirkland@ee.utah.edu)