Re: HP48 vs TI-92 differentiation

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Dean Mao wrote:

> >> did not impress me as a speedster.  But honestly, how many kids sit
> >> there in the middle of a test shaking their calc and screaming "Graph
> >> damn you! The other kids were done a second ago!!""?
> >
> >I don't do that, but I do get mad when i'm 5 minutes behind the TI people
> >on differentiation.
>
> Isn't there a ML routine to do differentiation?  Maybe someone could
> make one....  Since the built in diff. is not that great, maybe
> someone like Mika H. could design one and make the HP community happy?

That'd be cool.  However, differentiation is a recursive process and
someone doing one would have to either call the SYS-RPL (just like it
does internally) or do the whole shebang in code.  That is, check the
type of all of the sub-elements split up, etc.  Still have to push and
pop with the stack (slow but sure.)  Speed only bugs me a lot if
something requires me to press a button, wait, press a button, wait,
press a button, wait.  In its favour, the HP48 allows me to blindfold
myself, hit the combination to derive and sit back.

Of course, screwing up in the middle of an exam and waiting for a 3
minute result with 2 minutes to the end of the test. . . . that's
probably tough too.

Of course, I'd be more than happy to utterly eat my words if someone
wrote a fast and safe derive that's just as functional, if they'd just
hand it out. . .

Matt.