Re: HP48 vs TI-92

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: HP48 vs TI-92

On Tue, 27 Aug 1996 22:37:31 GMT, eek@hia.net (eek the kat) wrote:

>i gotta say 2 things......
>

>On Tue, 27 Aug 1996 10:05:56 -0500, "Lamari, Matthew"
><mlamari@origin.ea.com> wrote:

>>> keyboard.  If they allowed those, I'd take a pentium 150 laptop with Maple,
>>> Mathematica, Derive, Excel, Lotus, a programming language (for those
>>> annoying problems you know how to solve, but not quickly...thus a computer)
>
>what if the teacher asks you to show work? ;)

Easy.  Just bring a Math professor with you instead of a laptop.  A
Math professor doesn't even have a qwerty keyboard!!  :)

>>When I was at university (last year) in OZ, you had to write down the
>>make and model of your calculator, and NOTHING PROGRAMMABLE was
>>allowed.  I heard that this year they were a bit more lax on this; but
>>that HP48 with its big screen would, upon a glance, stand out.  I heard
>
>BIG SCREEN?????? That's a good one! ;)  eek

I think the Ti-92 would stand out a little bit better.  The screen is
4x the size of the HP.  The HP has a screen that is 3 pixel columns
longer than the Ti-85 calculator.  If the teacher allowed nothing
programmable, try buying the Casio Scientific-graphing calculator.  It
does programming in a very unnoticible way.  The screen is about as
big as those small scientific calculator screens....

>>I am surprised as people here are allowed to take programmable
>>calculators into tests, as anything with RAM I could rack up with so
>>much info that passing would be impossible!!

Actually I think the point of going to school is to fill your brain
with so much info so that failing would be impossible.  I don't think
teachers teach you so you can go home and copy your text book and
notes into your calculator so you can pass easily on test day.

Besides, you do math a lot faster if you know it already without
having to browse through notes everytime you do a math problem.  It's
faster this way.

| "You can pick your friends, and  | (   \ (  \/  )   mao@wuchem.wustl.edu |
|  you can pick your nose; but you |  ) ) ) )    (                         |
|  can't pick your friend's nose." | (___/ (_/\/\_)       (Dean Mao)       |