Re: HP48 vs TI-92

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: HP48 vs TI-92

Lamari, Matthew wrote:
> When I was at university (last year) in OZ, you had to write down the
> make and model of your calculator, and NOTHING PROGRAMMABLE was
> allowed.  I heard that this year they were a bit more lax on this; but
> that HP48 with its big screen would, upon a glance, stand out.  I heard
> this was getting lax as their list of valid calculators was being
> ignored as it was 10 years out of date; but I'm sure someone would
> recognize the Ferrarri and the Lamborghini of pocketsized engineering
> hardware.
>
> I am surprised as people here are allowed to take programmable
> calculators into tests, as anything with RAM I could rack up with so
> much info that passing would be impossible!!

OZ is where (Ozarks came to mind, probably not it though)?  I haven't yet run
across an exam (except part of one calculus exam, the AIME, and at a
mathematics competition) where you can't use a calculator if it's non-QWERTY.
 It wouldn't kill me except I'm HORRIBLE at arithmetic.....oh well, that's
why calculators were invented (slide rules before that.....).  Any thoughts
on why little 4 function calcs (or slide rules even!!!) are banned?  I don't
see that as a true measure of mathematics ability (Einstein's skills at
arithmetic seems an appropriate example).  Regards,

darrel_wilson@bendnet.com