Re: HP48 vs TI-92

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: HP48 vs TI-92

On Mon, 26 Aug 1996, Lamari, Matthew wrote:

> To put it simply, the TI-92 is a computer trying to be a calculator, and
> the HP-48G is a calculator trying to be a computer.  Look at the
> processor in the HP-48.  It harkens back to the days of real slow speed
> and is optimized for use with stack objects and with BCD math.  It has a
> 4 bit bus and instructions for goodness sake.  However, the work it's
> typically doing saves it from extreme slowness.  The TI-92, however,
> with a 68000, needs not mickey mouse around with cut down interface and
> doing anything slowly.

Theyre both calculators and they're both computers.  The HP48
uses more traditional computer approaches while the TI92 uses
more calculator like approaches.  I'd say it's a matter of taste
which is better.

As for speed, I've seen reports both ways.  It sounds like they
each do something faster than the other.  I guess you pick the
one that's fastest doing the things you do most.

> I have little doubt that in general purpose processing, doing graphical
> representation of formulas etc. the TI-92 utterly whips the HP48.

Some like a graphical interface and some like postix notation
and don't care about graphics for normal calculator usage.  It's
what you prefer, I guess.

> Look at the ROM, the TI-92's meg vs the HP48G's 512K.  While its
> instructions may do conventional computing slowly, the HP48 can make
> very VERY good use of its space.  Just look at the instructions, common
> instructions to perform mathematical tasks take only a nibble.  Its
> object system makes storing functionality in SYS-RPL extremely
> efficient.  The TI-92 has its nice interface and windows type feel coded
> in 68000.

Keep in mind that only 16 of the cpu instructions can be 1
nibble long.  In fact, if there were 16 1 nibble instructions
there couldnt be any more instructions.  I think it's only a
couple that actually are 1 nibble long.

> Yes, feel.  The TI-92 has shift-select and cut and paste and
> overtype/insert like a windows text area.  As asking for a result
> usually results in more computation being done to update the display
> than "do the job", responses to any instruction are instantaneous due to
> its speed in conventional processing tasks.  Yet in  the HP48, even with
> the delay, you can hide the screen from view and still press a few
> buttons in sequence to do what you want to do, if you have them learned
> by heart.
>
> Okay, the TI-92 is big; but having keys accessible (even nice
> redundant/repeated ones!) is pretty cool when you're stationary using
> the thing.

Accessable is different things to different people.  To some it's
having it in their pocket.

> Here's my big peeve with the Ti-92, though.  And I know it's advertised
> as a calculator, so my complaint is unfounded.  It's just that with its
> big screen and processing power, I wish it had more RAM, and documented
> interface to running Assembly.  I mean, with a bit more storage, this
> thing is an Amiga minus the sprites.  I realize that most people who buy
> these don't expand them; but goodness I would love to be able to plug
> some extra Ram in.  There's room in that huge case.  The HP-48GX is
> expandable beyond what anyone would want to, and with a RAM expansion
> facility the TI-92 could be made to EMULATE anything you'd want to do on
> a HP48GX if nothing else.

Actually, if there was more ram, a 48gx emulator might be possible.
I wonder if HP or TI would be more insulted by that?  :)
It would be slow, though.  Remember, the 68000 has been around a
long time.  No question its a lot faster than the Saturn, but it's
still a fairly slow cpu by today's standards.

If you want to pick a calculator for use simply as a calculator,
I would suggest ignoring things like cpu type and speed.  They
don't tell you about it's abilities.  That's partly cpu and partly
rom and who cares which is which.

I would try to decide what you want to do with it and see which one
does that better.  Ideally, learn both and then decide..

Barry