Re: Challenge

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Challenge

Singh Narula) writes:
> :
> >:     Believe it or not, this IS possible!!!!!!  I
> >
> >I find it hard to belive you can write a chess algorithm on 32K of memory...
>
> Pop on down to Radio Shack and look at how much memory the dedicated chess
> computers have that are sold there.
>
> Matt Tuley
> mtuley@jeffco.k12.co.usYeah, you'd be surprised at what you can do with the
memory on a TI,
especially given some tight coding. While sailing the British Columbia
coast this summer (up to Princess Louisa), I developed an app on my 92
to do harmonic tide prediction. The base lists, algorithm and user
interface take up just 8K, leaving the rest of the 92's memory space for
storing location constants. I based it on David Flater's SlakTide, and
modified his algorithms so that they would work acceptably on the 92.
The entire piece of code to predict a tide height/current velocity at a
location for a given time, for instance, is:
 tidh(t)
 Func
  round(sum(work|t=t*3600+today)*amp+datum,2)
 EndFunc

The contants for a location take up about 400 _bytes_ each. The
constants are stored in a multiline eval() format--because it's more
efficient than storing TI-92 lists.

I'll be posting code and documentation whenever I get around to
finishing the application.
<pre>
--
--| Martin Knowles     mknowles@halcyon.com                  |
--| Lightning Systems  Software / Publications / Multimedia  |