Re: programming the ti-85

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: programming the ti-85

(FINALLY! Back to calculator stuff! YES!!! :-)

Hmmm...
The simultaneous equation solver (SIMULT) on the TI-85 would not be
appropriate for this program, as it only solves systems of LINEAR equations,
but the SOLVER should do the trick.
Use the home screen, or lines in your program, or the full-screen solver to
enter the equations
RTDELTA=R=T*tan(DELTA/2)
LRDELTA=L=\pi\*R*DELTA/180
LcRDELT=Lc=2R*sin(DELTA/2)
and so on...

(yes, exactly as you see them, with the exception of \pi\, which is, well,
you know...)

Then use
Solver(RTDELTA,DELTA,0)
to solve the RTDELTA equation for DELTA with an initial guess of DELTA=0.

That should help to clean up your program quite a bit.

I'd like to see the program, as you have it... it looks interesting, and I'd
be happy to help you make the changeover to the Solver().

At 22:09 8/8/96 EST, CHRISTOPHER M. BUCKLEY wrote:
>Hi, -
>  I recently purchased a ti-85 to assist me in my work as
>a surveying engineering student here at Ferris State University in
>Michigan.  I haven't been able to get the calculator to function as I would
>like and was hoping someone could lend a hand.  I am trying to write
>a program to solve for the following equations;
>
>R=T*TAN (DELTA/2)
>L=((pi * R*DELTA)/180)
>LC=2*R*SIN(DELTA/2)
>E=R(1/COS(DELTA/2)-1
>M=R(1-COS(DELTA/2))
>Da=(5729.578/R)
>Dc=2*SIN^(-1)(50/R)
>
>Currently I have this set up to run using the menu function where I
>have rearranged the above formulas (which are used to solve
>horizontal curves in highway design in case you were wondering).  The
>program works (and I'll post it if anyone is interested) but it is
>not written well and therefore takes alot of manual searching through menus and
>probably eats up more memory then it should.
>
>Here are the variables: DELTA, T, R, M, L, LC, Da, Dc, E
>
>Given DELTA or Da or Dc and one other of the components listed above, one
>should be able to solve for all other components of the horizontal curve with a
>simple program (as I have written).
>
>Instead of using the menu though, I was hoping to incorporate the simultaneous
>equation solver (which I know nothing about or how to access or use) or some
>other technique so that all of the variables would appear at once so that I
would
>just have to choose the two that I have and the program would solve for the
rest.

>Any help would be appreciated!
>(New to the list)-CMB
>BUCKLEYC@MAILSERV1.FERRIS.EDU

| Peter Kolbus                           +1.810.474.0872 |
| ae607@detroit.freenet.org      #include <disclaimer.h> |
| "640K should be enough for anybody"                    |
|             -Bill Gates, 1986                          |
| Who is General Failure, and why is he reading drive C? |
| ***Written using 100% recycled electrons***            |