Re: Mini-C for TI-92

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Mini-C for TI-92

>I'd be interested in talking to someone familiar with compiler design
>and Fargo about developing a C compiler for the 92; given memory
>limitations, it might just be something that would run on a host machine
>(a PC or Unix box, e.g.) and cross compile for the 92.
>
>If we take for granted the obvious benefits of high-level, compilable
>language like C, I believe the advantages of adapting an existing C
>compiler -- like GNU C -- to produce code for the 92 are enormous.
>
>gcc is an excellent, freely-available, extensible compiler, available
>for nearly all flavors of Unix as well as dos (as djgpp). Its modular
>design would force us to rewrite only a few pieces of the system, rather
>than starting from scratch.
>
>Any thoughts?
There is a 68000 of gcc, and there's also source code for a simpler
compiler available..

A problem could be the fargo specifics .. We use some sligtly non-
standard methoods for calling library routines, which may be difficult
to implement..

An interesting aspect is that the ti-92's OS is written in 'c' so that
many standard c rouitines are present in the ti-92's rom (though a good
proportion of stdlib and stdio arn't really applicable to the ti-92's
sytem, so you don't have printf, but you do get sprintf.. we've still
got a lot of work cut out figuring out rom routines, but this obviously
doesnt have to be done  before the release of fargo ... (?))

(This was posted on behalf of Rob Taylor by Mike Johnson (who, btw, live
just round teh corner from me. If you're wondering why I'm writing this
message on his machine, I don't get calc-ti any more (obvious reasons..)
and I read it on his machine...)