Re: Which TI does your school require

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Which TI does your school require

In <4u3uin$moa@news1.t1.usa.pipeline.com>
jblum127@nyc.pipeline.com(Jason Blumenkrantz) writes:

>On Aug 05, 1996 00:34:31 in article <Re: Which TI does your school
>require>, 'scwolfe@ix.netcom.com(Steven Wolfe)' wrote:
>

>>In <3204DF04.1944@tenet.edu> Richard Taylor <rtaylor@tenet.edu>
writes:

>>>And there is just no reason to buy a TI-82; it's replacement, the
>>>TI-83, is so superior that the 82 shouldn't even be considered.
>>
>>I can think of one good reason:  cost.  Check the price comparison at
>>ticalc.org,
>
>Remembering that the price difference between the 82 and 83 isn't that
>great (another $5 on a $80 calculator doesn't make that much a
>difference),

Ahem... according to the Buyer's Guide at ticalc.org, the 82 is listed
at about $85, whereas the 83 is listed as costing $125.  Whichever
calculatror you have, use it, because that is NOT a five dollar
difference.

As I said, given that aside from all the capabilites the two calcs
share, much of what else the 83 can do (i.e. statistics, complex
numbers) can be done on the 82 with free programs, and that the 83's
assembly programming doesn't matter as the purpose of this discussion
is which calculator to use in a classroom, the 82 may be a better
choice if one wants to save some money.  If one can afford an 83, then
by all means get one, but it's not necessary to spend the extra money
when the 82 will do just fine, at $40 less.

-DAN Wolfe
 ^^^