Re: Which TI does your school require

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Richard Taylor <rtaylor@tenet.edu> wrote:

>Well, I think I have to offer an opinion, here. For those about to buy a
>new graphing calculator, you should keep in mind that the TI-85 is a
>very old machine--The 80, 82, 83, and 92 have all been introduced since
>the 85 came out, and TI has learned a lot since the old 85 was designed.
>Of course the 85 still does a couple of things just really beautifully
>well, but it's so cludgy in so many areas that I can't see someone
>buying one unless they had a very specific purpose.

>And there is just no reason to buy a TI-82; it's replacement, the TI-83,
>is so superior that the 82 shouldn't even be considered. The 83 can be
>used side by side with 82s, there's a huge base of programs for it, and
>it's now got expanded capabilities with complex numbers, business and
>statistical functions, etc.
>I've had a number of students who thought that becuase the TI-85 has a
>bigger number and costs more that it must be better. Most traded them
>back in for an 82 or 83.

The only reason I've seen for junior and senior level math teachers
recommending the 82 to students was because of (A) tables;
(B)statistics; and (C) ease of learning/use (and the cheaper price, of
course). These arre all very reasonable, as well as the newer age of
the 82. The 83 adds some more features, but it still can't compare to
the power of an 85. As I've said in the past, my 85 can do ANYTHING an
82 (or 83) can do, faster and more efficiently. Plus you have easier
programming, a much more efficient menu system, and Zshell. Assembly
for the 83 may be in the works, but the experience and range of stuff
you can currently use on the 85 beats it. The time it takes to learn
an 85 over the 82/83, I think, is just a scare factor. I picked up an
85 for the first time, looked in manual twice, and took off quickly on
it. I had used an 82 before, and an 81 before that, and I still knew
more about the 85 and its' capabilities in those few moments than I
had about the 81/82 in the week I had used them. For a few bucks, the
85 clearly beats the 82/83.
As for the 92, I haven't had the pleasure of trying one.. but if
students want to spend the money for that advanced of a calc, it rips
the power of an 85 to shreds. I hope assembly will get ported
successfully so i can have a reason to go buy one ;)

  "God was a Gendian Knight before He took the Universe in hand.." -Ulath
   Justin "Skale" Hall    <a href="mailto:halldp@one.net">halldp@one.net</a>   http://w3.one.net/~halldp/