Re: dirty screen

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: dirty screen

On 31 Jul 1996 02:45:05 GMT, chcrawfo@vt.edu wrote:

>In <31EBF0F5.50B@prairienet.org>, Bubba <bubba@prairienet.org> writes:
>>Remember the days when your TI-8x calculator got dirt under the screen.
>>But you didn't worry.  You knew, like everyone else, that you can just
>>peel off that protective cover and wipe the dirt away.
>>
>>Well, now I have a TI-92, and I can't exactly peel the protective screen
>>off.  Has anyone else had this problem?  Or know how to solve it?
>
>well, I never had that problem because I continuously keep my calc. clean with
>a towell or rag or shirt tail...  never had dust or dirt under the screen...
Keeping
>the cover on it when it's not in use is a start...
>
>Charles Crawford
>chcrawfo@vt.edu

Charles, you keep your TI-92 that clean? I don't believe that's
possible. I, too, clean my calcs constantly, but there's no way to
keep the 92 that clean. The problem is that the entire casing of the
TI-92 isn't sealed properly. That little latch does nothing. I love my
92, but TI really did a terrible job creating the case. If you hold a
92 up and try to twist the two halfs of the main calculator casing in
opposite directions (Not the snap on cover, the casing itself) You'll
notice it has a lot of give. I finally had to open mine up, remove the
entire motherboard, clean the screen and seal it with rubber cement.
Guess what? It didn't even work then. The screen is attached to the
casing like this:

______________________________
O      O       O        O       O       O      O

O                                                      O

O                                                      O

O                                                      O

O      O       O        O       O       O      O

Those O's are little melted plastic pins on the inside of the case,
around the edge of the screen. So when you rub your screen with a
cloth, Charles, it forcces the dust through the gaps between the pins.
The screen doesn't even approach having some sort of seal to the front
of the calculator.

In addition, dust gets in through the back and works it's way around.
Not much of the dust comes from this route, but some does. I'm still
searching for a way to combat both these dust sources. Silicon
caulking? I don't know, but maybe.

Read about Humphrey the shoe, sterile canadian freaks, math curricula
and more at HTTP://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/3142