Re: OS - gui

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: OS - gui

I think the point is to make a DE that fits completely in the calculator...
a full-fledged C compiler would be impractical on Zshell, but something
simple, like Debug (assembler), would work...
At 22:25 8/1/96 -0400, Michael Castleman wrote:
>On Thu, 1 Aug 1996, barrym wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 1 Aug 1996, JArtis1 wrote:
>>
>> > I think as long as someone is interested in creating a GUI operating
>> > system, SOMEBODY should sit down and write a C compiler, probably through
>> > ZShell.
>>
>> It would be kind of hard to fit a c compiler in the available 32k.
>> And even if you could, c programs are typically several times the
>> size of assembly programs.  And generally the smaller the compiler,
>> the larger the executable.
>>
>> Small C as an example, for it's compiler and libraries, needs about
>> 60k or thereabouts.  Then you need an assemlber and a linker.  At a
>> minimum you'd need around 90k - 100k just to hold the compiler and
>> it's tools, and then more memory for it to run in and even more for
>> it's output.
>
>I don't have a TI, but what one could do if [s]he was interested would be
>to create a compiler that runs under DOS (or Windows, or Mac, or Linux,
>or whatever) and compile the programs *there*, and send up only the
>output onto the calc.
>
>Michael Castleman, mlc@sri.webmate.com       | "Only two things are infinite:
>http://sri.webmate.com/members/mlc/home.html | the universe and human stupidity
>                                             | -- and I'm not sure about the
>**NOTE ADDRESS CHANGE!**                     | former." -Albert Einstein

| Peter Kolbus                           +1.810.474.0872 |
| ae607@detroit.freenet.org      #include <disclaimer.h> |
| "640K should be enough for anybody"                    |
|             -Bill Gates, 1986                          |
| Who is General Failure, and why is he reading drive C? |
| ***Written using 100% recycled electrons***            |