Re: A92: Help me

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A92: Help me

> Hey thanks for somebody resoponding. but yea i have and i though i had it
> until it wasnt working. liek isnt there another book i can buy por somthing
> that can explain it to to bone>,,i get an error saying the test didnt not
> prove to be true or false.. gees ok thank sbye

First of all, the program isn't running because there's an error in the
program somewhere. Second, you won't learn about fixing errors in nearly any
programming book, so don't bother. You only get that knowledge from
experience.

As for your error. A test is something like:

    If x<5 then
        disp "x is less than 5"
    Endif

Now, if the variable x is less than 5, "x is less than 5" will be displayed.
Now, let's say x does not equal a number, but a string. For example, if you
type "My name"->x, and then run the above code, how can the calculator know if
"My name" is less than 5 or not? So the calculator responds with an error
"Test did not prove true or false.": there's no way to compare the two.

This is probably where your problem is. First off, how did you get the input
numbers? Usually when you input numbers into the calculator, they are stored
as strings. When you try to compare it to a number it won't work. The
calculator needs to convert it to a number first. Say the program looks like
this:

:prog1()
:Prgm
:InputStr "Enter x",x
:If x<5 then
:    x^2->x
:Else
:    x*5->x
:EndIf
:EndPrgm

The program will give an error because if you enter 3 when it asks for x, x
will equal "3", not 3. Change the program so that the calculator converts x to
a number before it compares it to 5:

:prog1()
:Prgm
:InputStr "Enter x",x
:expr(x)->x
:If x<5 then
:    x^2->x
:Else
:    x*5->x
:EndIf
:EndPrgm

expr takes a string and tries to turn it into a number. -> stores it in x, and
then x equals 3, not "3". The program should run fine.

Hope this helps. If it doesn't, you can e-mail me your program (if you want)
and I'll see if I can help.

Robbie - aka CyberServant4Him
http://sdf.lonestar.org/~cs4h/about_me.html