[A92] Re: New To TI-92

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A92] Re: New To TI-92

Mike,

> Ok, so I just got my TI-92plus.  Where do I start?
> In terms of the calc itself I am going to go through the manual.

Good.  So many people seem to forget that manuals do have answers to many
questions.  Granted this will only give you the basics for using the
calculator for its "calculator-ness".

> In terms of programming for it...  Where should I begin?
> Should I use TI's beta SDK?  Should I use TIGCC?
> What is the value of Fargo?  Why would I want it?  Should I use it?

I will just lump these all together.  The best place to begin is looking at
source code.  I find that learning by example is the easy way to go, and
I've never met another programmer that isn't the same way.  So the archives
at ticalc.org will become your close companion.

About the tools: you have a TI-92 Plus.  This means you cannot run Fargo II
compatible programs (unless David has been working overtime to make it
possible).  I personally only have the original TI-92 (1.3).  I find
programming for it much less complicated, and the effective 64k of workable
memory is not that bad.  Any good programmer can make it fit.  Fargo II
would limit you to only 68k assembler.

TIGCC is probably the best bet, because I thought I heard that you can use
it to develop for all three of the 68k-based calculators.  It obviously lets
you develop in C with support for inline assembler--just about the best it
could get.  Now the TI's "official" SDK would give you the best "support".
They have "documentation" covering the "features" of the calculator, but
this limits you to the 89 and 92+.  TI seems to have disowned the old (and
much more reliable IMHO) TI-92.  Oh well.

> Is there a term emu (vt-100?) program for the TI-92+ ?

You would be best served to check the archives at ticalc.org.  I believe
there is a terminal program (not sure if it's vt-100), but I believe the
program is Fargo II. Couldn't hurt to take a look.

-- Aaron (Serac)