A92: Re: DoorsOS? Fargo? Fargo II?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A92: Re: DoorsOS? Fargo? Fargo II?

> I've been pokin' around all over the place and I'm *STILL* unable to find any
kind of answer to my questions about DoorsOS and Fargo (II).  I had hopes when I
found the link "Beginner TI-92 Fargo II Programming" by Kodi Mosley at
http://www.calc.org/programming/index.cgi?p=fargo2.  Unfortunately, when I try
to access the link, I get tossed against a login screen.  I've joined Dimensions
TI (www.calc.org) in hopes that would fix the problem, but still I hit the same
login dialog.  I've tried sending THEM mail, but their mailer script keeps
crashing.  AARRGGHH!!

> Anyway, I'm new to TI-92+ programming (but not to TI calculator programming; I
have a TI-86).  I desperately want to code in C, but there's all this talk (on
the boards and various sites) about DoorsOS and Fargo (II).  If I understand it
correctly, these two "systems" are nothing but friendly assembly environments,
providing some services to assembly programs (naming of ROM calls, library
suport, etc).
> So ... What I'm looking for are answers to these questions:

> * How do either of these (DoorsOS/Fargo(II)) fit into TI-GCC?
TI-GCC is a package which contains a cross-compiling (to 68k) EGCS/GCC compiler,
and a linker that creates files that run either under DoorsOS or directly
through TIOS (in the latter cas you can't use stuff like libraries and RAM
calls). It only works with the TI-89 and the TI-92+ AFAIK.

> * Do I need to install DoorsOS or Fargo (II) on my 92+ before I code in C
using TI-GCC?
No - TI-GCC runs on your computer and creates files you transfer to your calc.
See the previous question/answer.

> * What's the difference between DoorsOS and Fargo (II)?
Fargo I/II runs on the original TI-92, the TI-92E and the TI-92II. DoorsOS runs
on the TI-89 and the TI-92+.

> * Are they compatible?
They can't run each other's binaries, but converting assembly code to create
binaries for the two is often trivial - in some cases you just replace a header
file and reassemble.

> * What's the difference between Fargo and Fargo II?
Fargo II is newer and generally better made. More detailed information about the
differences should be available in the Fargo II documentation.

> * When I'm looking at a 3rd-party library, how do I know if it will work with
DoorsOS, Fargo (II), neither, or both?
It should be written in its documentation. Failing that, you can always check on
the big sites to make sure you get the right ones - they are usually sorted into
suitable categories.

> All these casual references I continually see regarding DoorsOS and Fargo have
left me so terribly confused. Can someone help me? Please.

 / Niklas Brunlid
Check out Prosit for the TI-89 / TI-92+ at http://prosit.ticalc.org
Random PQF Quote follows:

The gods of the Disc have never bothered much about judging the souls of
the dead, and so people only go to hell if that's where they believe, in
their deepest heart, that they deserve to go. Which they won't do if they
don't know about it. This explains why it is so important to shoot
missionaries on sight.
        -- (Terry Pratchett, Eric)

Follow-Ups: References: