Re: A92: The results. (was TIOS: Can't live with is. Can't live withou

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A92: The results. (was TIOS: Can't live with is. Can't live without it?)

> >For those who would like to work on the command-line interface, I
> >believe Mitch would glade welcome any help.  As with any shell, I
> >suggest you keep things simple.  Make sure that your interface has
> >a specific goal and obtains it with a minimal footprint.
>
> I think a well-laid-out menu system would be better...I'm a fast typist,
> but with a fixed library of commands, menus are faster.  And, people--stop
> trying to implement mouse pointers on the '92 GUIs like Prosit.  We have
> cursor keys only.  Keyboard navigation (tab-tab-tab-tab-space) would be
faster.

You're very welcome to design a GUI for Prosit, even if it's only ideas... I'll
do my best to implement it. From the programmer's point of view (i'e' mine) a
mouse is *so* much easier to deal with.

My original plan, that still stands, was to implement text fields and stuff like
that so that when you click in one you go into some sort of "text" mode where
the cursor keys work just like you would expect. One key would then be assigned
to "break free" and go to mouse mode again.

> >I would
> >also warn against using any existing interfaces.
>
> Why not?  The best way to get around the large system footprint is to use
> their routines--their fonts, their menus, their file system....

Hear, hear. TI:s routines are extremely versatile. Take a look at their GFX
routines . every one of them is capable of plotting into a buffer of practically
any size, with clipping, client region, patterns, logic... if I wanted to add
all that manually in Prosit it would never be finished.

 / Niklas Brunlid
Check out Prosit for the TI-89 / TI-92+ at http://prosit.ticalc.org
Random PQF Quote follows:

"... Percy the Pup here with a cold nose, bright eyes, glossy coat and
the brains of a stunned herring."
        -- Gaspode the wonder dog on 'Laddie'
           (Terry Pratchett, Moving Pictures)