Re: A92: TIOS: Can't live with it. Can't live without it?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A92: TIOS: Can't live with it. Can't live without it?

You guys might be able to take a load off your shoulders by using an
existing operating system.  Forth (which I know David is working on)
essentially becomes its own operating system as the word library grows.  I
know there is a BSD that runs in very little RAM, and a Linux that runs
without a memory management unit (our platform's primary hindrance).  Unix,
when originally written, ran on a PDP-8--which needless to say sported a
lot less RAM than our calculator.
Why not preserve TI's math and file-management routines and simply oust
-parts- of their OS--say, the GUIs and the command-line interface.  Or just
preserve -some- of their routines.  Not all of their stuff is bad, you
know, it's primarily the interface and the size of the system in RAM that
you guys seem to dislike.  Why don't we work out a way to optimize on those
two points without reinventing the proverbial wheel?
--Cliff Biffle

Optimist: This glass is half full.
Pessimist: This glass is half empty.
Cynic: They drank my water.  Figures.
Engineer: The glass should be -half- this size!