Re: A92: Re: Shells and assembler

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A92: Re: Shells and assembler

>It'd be 400,000 times faster if the OS'd just let
>the bios take care of that stuff.

Not in our case, since the OS is in ROM and is no faster than a BIOS could
be.  And Linux, which you mentioned earlier, -doesn't- let the BIOS take
care of stuff. :-)

>Anyway, even on a calculator, my new OS is far from feasable.  I think the
>next big jump needs to be in a c/c++ compiler for M68k, if it doesn't already
>exist.  i think there's a compiler for the Z80.

Well, since the M68K was a semi-dominant processor for fifteen years or so,
there are a scad of 'em.  We've already adapted GCC-68K to work on the 92+,
and there's probably other efforts going on.  GCC is nice because of it's
smokin' optimization engine.
If you meant an on-calculator one...then yes, I agree with you, we need
one.  *grin*  I don't think there's one of -those- for the Z80, but I know
there's a nice on-calc assembler.  (It's strange that the 8x calculators
have an on-calc assembler, whereas we, with our more powerful architecture
and QWERTY keyboard, don't even have a third-party TEXT EDITOR yet.)
--Cliff Biffle

Optimist: This glass is half full.
Pessimist: This glass is half empty.
Cynic: They drank my water.  Figures.
Engineer: The glass should be -half- this size!  -Ender