Re: A92: Oncalc compiler (ONTIC)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A92: Oncalc compiler (ONTIC)

> Will this archive software work on a reguluar ti-92? (not a plus)

I haven't used it, but I believe DBA is for 89/92+ (the flash mem gives you
what is called ARCHIVE memory.)

> Also, I think it would be very convienient to have a PC program that would
> convert C++ to assembly.  The *idea* of having an on-calc compiler is nice,
> but not really practical.  The calc is not meant to be used to develop the
> software, it is meant to run the software.  I do not, however, want to
> discourage anyone from trying it.  It would be a great accomplishment
> (practical or not).  The PC C++ - ASM compiler could be used also in
> programming better ASM (I'll Explain).  Take me for example.  I am very good
> at at C++, but still only intermediate level in ASM.  I could use the
> compiler to create ASM files which I could then study to learn ASM better.
> I know what you are all thinking though.  An ASM file converted from C++
> would be larger, and less efficient than a pure ASM file.  This would also
> give good practice in code optimization.  Maybe something like this already
> exists.  If so, please tell me where.  If not, lets get started creating
> one.

There is a problem with C++, and that is code bloat.  While C++ is a nice
language, it is not designed to create small programs (for embedded systems).
Of course, the program will still run, and depending on the optimizer in the
compiler, run fairly quickly.  But considering that available memory is not
high, I'd not want to use C++ to write programs.  Now C, on the other hand,
is much better at staying small.

Again, it's up to you if you WANT to use C++.  I personally would not.  It's
not my choice for a language for embedded systems.  (I prefer direct ASM in
the case of the TI-92.)

====
Aaron Hill (Redmond, Wash.)
Electronic Mail: serac@lightmail.com