Re: A92: PlusC sources, probably features

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Grutsch Alexander wrote:

> I'll offer my PlusC sources always on my homepage. My homepage will be
> accessable in some days.
>
> About the suggestions.
>
> I'll try to implement all features, ANSI compatible.
> The calling of libraries is similar to C++ and UltraPascal, with '::'. I
> like that very much. A librarydefinition will be an includefile with the
> following syntax

Interesting paradox you've set up there in that paragraph by first
stating that you'll do an ANSI compatible implementation, but with
a different calling convention for library functions.  If you start
putting C++ and UltraPascal operators as part of that grammer of
PlusC, then you have already departed from the ANSI standard for C.
I would strongly recommend you not pollute your implementation any
more than is absolutely necessary for use on the TI.  Also, ANSI C
will push its function parameters on the stack in REVERSE order,
which you appear to have backwards in your definition.

You appear to be building a library in an object oriented fashion
just so you can use the '::' operator.  You also appear to be using
the Pascal ':=' assignment operator.  Thus, I'm also recommending
that you stop at this point and come up with a solid, attainable
plan.  Forgive my being a naysayer here, but if you're already coding
even before you have a completed design, you're asking for trouble.

You basically have three choices: (1) start over and go for a true
ANSI compatible compiler; (2) go the next step with this compiler
and make it a full-blown C++ compiler; or (3) keep going with what
you've got, but forget about putting ANSI in your specification
("almost" ANSI compliant is not ANSI compliant).

Remember that you are not dealing with a microcomputer...you're
actually much closer to the world of embedded systems.  Maybe you
ought to check out some ANSI C compilers for other embedded micro-
processors (eg. 8051, 6502, 68HC11, 68332, etc.) for ideas.  For
instance, I use an ANSI C cross compiler for the 89C52 at work.

Sorry to everyone for seeming to be a party-pooper, but I would
also like to see this work...I have to applaud Grutsch for giving
it a go.  However, if its not worth doing right then its not worth
doing.

Anyway, I've said my peace.
Keith Kirton / kkirton@acex.com

Follow-Ups: References: