A92: TI89: Sorting Lists

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A92: TI89: Sorting Lists

I'm having problems sorting lists.  I did not get an answer to my
original question so I'm going to ask it a differnt, more simpler way.

I have several lists, ListA, ListB, ListC and ListD.

I sort with something like: SortD ListA, ListB, ListC, ListD.

Now I know that the list order is supposed to be controlled ONLY by
ListA order.  However, depending on the list and who knows what else,
sorting with: SortD ListA, ListB, ListC SOMETIMES produces a
different sort order than SortD ListA, ListC, ListB, ListD.  The sort
order is different ONLY in elements with identical values.
Everything else is sorted correctly.

When I say sometimes I mean depending on some undetermined fact, the
list order is affected by the list placement in the SortD and SortA
functions.  With any given set of lists this is repeatable but it is
unpredictable what the order will be for identical elements.

Does anyone know why this happens?  Or, how the list order can be
predicted?
Discussion Group:        http://www.halcyon.com/ipscone/wwwboard/

Protect your constitutional rights. Your favorite one may be next!