Re: A92: Severe TI-92 bug

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A92: Severe TI-92 bug

---David Ellsworth <davidell@earthling.net> wrote:

> At 08:18 AM 5/23/98 -0700, fondacci christophe wrote:
> >
> >Everybody knows about the ti-92 bug, I think !
>
> Rather presumptuous. I have never heard of it before.
> Has anybody else heard of it before?
>
> Assuming that "everybody knows" about this bug would imply that you
read
> about it somewhere. Where? Or, did you find this bug yourself? If
you did,
> what led you to believe that everybody knew about it?

Excuse me, I thought everybody knows because I have read it in a book
(well a french book actually), but I didn't discovered that bug....

> >(You store a picture of 1 pixel and you put Rplcpic pict,0,0 and it
> >crashes the calc)
>
> I tried this procedure on my TI-92 with both ROM 1.11-int and ROM
1.3-ext,
> and this procedure did not crash either of them. I also tried it
with ROM
> 1.12-ext under emulation, and again it did not crash the calc.
>
> This is what I did:
>  StoPic pict,0,0,1,1
>  RplcPic pict,0,0
> and it performed exactly as should be expected.

That's right, but this is not the correct procedure.
So if some people don't know this bug, I must explain the correct
process :
      1- Stopic pict,0,1,0,1 (this is very important)
      2- Then, you can choose between :
            Rclpic pict,1,1    (which not crash your calc each time)
            Rplcpic pict,1,1   (which crash your calc almost every time)

> Is this the correct procedure? Is there something I missed?
>
> >But normaly, you make a reset and everything become alright ! But
when
> >you make several times the operation, on a rom 1.12, it damages the
> >ROM, and I don't know why !
> >
> >A friend have done that operation, and later try diamond+F5 and make
> >the rom tests, and the rom tests failed
>
> The ROM might have been defective all along. Did your friend remember
> running the self-test on his calc _before_ activating the bug?

We did the self test, because we were trying to scan this bug and to
see when and why it happens so we have done several self tests before
each rplcpic that might have crashed the calc. And one time, it
crashed the calc, we run the self test (rom) and instead of returning
to the menu, the calc displays the Test fail error at the top of the
screen

> I am very skeptical about this. First of all, I cannot get the
alleged bug
> to work. Secondly, it seems incredibly improbable that the ROM could
be
> damaged through software. If it can, then this is VERY bad -- it
means that
> somebody could write a TI-92 trojan horse that would do some major
damage.
   I know this is very strange, and there is also another strange
thing : when he removed the rom module (2.1 and he had a 1.12 int
rom), and performed the rom test, everything was alright !!!
   Every time I tried this procedure on my calc, it crashed the calc,
but the rom was OK...

> BTW, for those of you who spoke of removing all 5 batteries --
anything
> that can be accomplished by that can be much more efficiently and
reliably
> accomplished by holding down [)] and [(-)] while inserting a battery.
   He tried to hold [)] and [(-)] but it did nothing.
He had also tried to remove the 5 batterreies an entire day -> same
result ...

Christophe Fondacci
Tchi_98@yahoo.com
ICQ : 12252327