Re: A92: Severe TI-92 bug

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A92: Severe TI-92 bug

At 08:18 AM 5/23/98 -0700, fondacci christophe wrote:

>Everybody knows about the ti-92 bug, I think !

Rather presumptuous. I have never heard of it before.
Has anybody else heard of it before?

Assuming that "everybody knows" about this bug would imply that you read
about it somewhere. Where? Or, did you find this bug yourself? If you did,
what led you to believe that everybody knew about it?

>(You store a picture of 1 pixel and you put Rplcpic pict,0,0 and it
>crashes the calc)

I tried this procedure on my TI-92 with both ROM 1.11-int and ROM 1.3-ext,
and this procedure did not crash either of them. I also tried it with ROM
1.12-ext under emulation, and again it did not crash the calc.

This is what I did:
 StoPic pict,0,0,1,1
 RplcPic pict,0,0
and it performed exactly as should be expected.

Is this the correct procedure? Is there something I missed?

>But normaly, you make a reset and everything become alright ! But when
>you make several times the operation, on a rom 1.12, it damages the
>ROM, and I don't know why !
>
>A friend have done that operation, and later try diamond+F5 and make
>the rom tests, and the rom tests failed

The ROM might have been defective all along. Did your friend remember
running the self-test on his calc _before_ activating the bug?

I am very skeptical about this. First of all, I cannot get the alleged bug
to work. Secondly, it seems incredibly improbable that the ROM could be
damaged through software. If it can, then this is VERY bad -- it means that
somebody could write a TI-92 trojan horse that would do some major damage.

BTW, for those of you who spoke of removing all 5 batteries -- anything
that can be accomplished by that can be much more efficiently and reliably
accomplished by holding down [)] and [(-)] while inserting a battery.

---
David Ellsworth
davidell@earthling.net
IRC: eXocomp