Re: A92: rom 1.11 and Plus Module

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A92: rom 1.11 and Plus Module

At 03:21 AM 3/27/98 -0800, Anton Ivanov wrote:

>I recall reading somewhere that
>    a) Rom 1.11 (which is what I have) is the only one that is masked
>(soldered into the    motherboard)

Actually, there are also TI-92`s with ROM 1.12 masked into them, but they
seem to be pretty rare. Shawn, if you're reading this, can you tell us why
ROM 1.12 masked is so rare?

>    b) The Plus Module is supposed to replace the current Rom module
>
>That makes me paranoid.  Do I have a problem?
>
>What would happen if I install the Plus Module? Would it just
>"deactivate" the one on my motherboard?

Yes, any ROM module will override masked (internal) ROM. Both ROMs will be
addressable in memory, but only the module ROM will be active.

And in fact, there's a little trick where you can boot your TI-92 with the
internal ROM, then pop in a module, and it will continue to run from the
internal ROM until you reboot again...I'm imagining that might make it
possible to rewrite an accidentally corrupted Plus module with valid ROM
code, using a Fargo program running under your old ROM.

---
David Ellsworth
davidell@earthling.net
IRC: eXocomp