Re: A92: HP 48GX And TI92

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A92: HP 48GX And TI92

Just a little fodder to fuel this debate...  Personally, I prefer
the speed of the 68k to the 4-bit processor used in the 48GX.
I obviously own 92s, 92 Pluses, and 89s, and I find them far
superior to the 48GX.  The only thing that I like better about
the GX is the RPN, but teachers prefer EOS for its pedagogical
value.  Anyway, this is a company press release that talks
about some of the new apps that will be available with the
92 Plus.

Monday June 29, 9:30 am Eastern Time

Company Press Release

SOURCE: Texas Instruments

Texas Instruments Forms Industry Alliance to Expand Applications for TI-89
and TI-92 Plus Graphing
Calculators

First Software Offering from Alliance to Launch at American Society for
Engineering Education Show Today

DALLAS, June 29 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments (NYSE: TXN - news), the
leader in hand-held electronic educational learning tools, today announced
it has formed an alliance
with da Vinci Technologies Group, Inc., a software developer and licenser,
to create TI platform-compatible software applications for the TI-89 and
the TI-92 Plus graphing
calculators. (The TI-92 Plus calculator is the combination of a TI-92
graphing calculator and a TI-92 Plus Module.)

da Vinci's EE*Pro electrical engineering software is the first application
to be made available for these TI products, providing tools that allow
students to perform analysis and quick
calculations, view equations and other comprehensive reference data, and
graph certain results. The EE*Pro will be introduced today at the annual
meeting and exposition of the
American Society for Engineering Education in Seattle, Washington.

``We are pleased to be working with da Vinci Technologies to make the
EE*Pro available for TI platforms,'' said Tom Ferrio, vice president, Texas
 Instruments. ``By working with
professional engineers during development, da Vinci's EE*Pro brings real
world applications to students using the TI-89 and TI-92 Plus, which we
think is a huge benefit to their
education.''

``Our primary goal at da Vinci is to develop quality software on hand-held
platforms for students and professionals in science and engineering,'' said
 Dr. Megha Shyam, President da
Vinci Technologies Group, Inc. ``Texas Instruments has been a leader in
educational learning tools for years and this alliance with TI helps us
reach many more users with a powerful
software application. It enhances the functionality and power of the tools
available from TI for students and practicing engineers.''

The TI-92, a hand-held instructional tool designed for high school and
college mathematics and engineering students, was introduced in 1995. In
1997, the TI-92 Plus Module was
announced. The TI-92 Plus Module gives students the ability to upgrade,
rather than replace, their hand-held hardware. The powerful module provided
 more memory, increased
software functionality, and electronic upgradability. The electronic
upgradability of the module allows the student to further upgrade the unit
with the EE*Pro.

The TI-89 with Advanced Mathematics Software, was announced earlier this
year and will be available this fall. This new graphing calculator was
developed for students taking
advanced math and engineering courses. The TI-89 is very similar to a TI-92
 Plus calculator in that it offers students expanded capabilities and
increased memory to meet the
demands of these classes, as well as the ability to upgrade the unit's
functionality electronically.

The EE*Pro is expected to sell for $75 through the TI web site,
http://ti.com/calc with planned availability this winter.

NOTE TO THE EDITOR: Texas Instruments Educational & Productivity Solutions
business includes scientific and graphing calculators that lead the U.S.
market and are quickly
gaining share around the globe. These products provide instructors with
solutions for effectively teaching math and science concepts. TI's
market-leading hand-held and printing
calculators, staples in America's homes and offices for over 20 years, meet
 a wide range of needs for personal and business use.

More information is located on the World Wide Web at http://www.ti.com/calc

Texas Instruments Incorporated is a global semiconductor company and the
world's leading designer and supplier of digital signal processing
solutions, the engines driving the
digitization of electronics. Headquartered in Dallas, Texas, the company's
businesses also include materials and controls, educational and
productivity solutions, and digital imaging.
The company has manufacturing or sales operations in more than 25
countries. Texas Instruments is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under
 the symbol TXN.

da Vinci Technologies Group, Inc. was founded in 1996 to develop and market
 high quality software on hand held platforms for students and
professionals of science and industry. A
privately held company, it is the recognized worldwide as the leader in
developing application software on hand- held platforms. Its products are
sold worldwide. More information can
be found at the World Wide Web at http://www.dvtg.com

SOURCE: Texas Instruments

Shawn A. Prestridge
Texas Instruments, Inc.
Educational & Productivity Solutions
7800 Banner Drive MS 3946
Dallas, Texas 75251
(972) 917-1698
(972) 917-7103  FAX

"Until you find something worth dying for, you're not really living."
--Anonymous