Re : Re: A92: learning assembly

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re : Re: A92: learning assembly

Dans un courrier daté du 05/08/98 05:59:51  , vous avez écrit :

>  what kind of number is 4f6? l thought that hex could be like 4F, or F6, or
>  4FF6.  can the hex have three "character-digits"? like 4f6 has three.  4F
> has
>  two.

Sorry for the delay: no one probably still care.. but

In fact, the processor can handle only bytes, words or longwords ( bits also )
This means that if you write:
> move.w  #$4F6,D4
This is not a valid command.
In fact, the right instruction (which is coded by the assembler as the
assembler is intelligent ) is: "move.w  #$04F6,D4 "so that the immediate data
used is alligned on a word boundary.
The numbers $4F6 and $04F6 are technicaly just the same for us but the
processor needs numbers given on word boundarys..

Mathieu, <hmlacage@aol.com>

PS: I did simplified the real phenomenon but the idea behind your question is
this one... ( i think so or at least hope so.. ) so don' t flame me...