Re: A92: Desired features for smart printer port/memory expander/etc. un

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A92: Desired features for smart printer port/memory expander/etc. unit

JamesL000@aol.com wrote:

> Could you please send me ideas for things you might want it to be able to do,
> currently it will definetly have a simple parallel port (possibly
> bi-directional?), high speed serial interface for external eeprom chips and a
> built in UART for communication with the calculator.  It has a 16-bit
> addressing bus and 8-data lines, a large portion of which will be used by the
> program and the different ports.
> Anyone have suggestions for a name??
>
>   -James

Another person is making an expander too, but compition will be a good thing in
my opion. How much will your expander cost? How much of it is done? Will a
special fargo program be required to use it? If not I would like it if you could
make it use the protocals of a normal  TI calc, or atleast the basic features.
And I would like it if it could store a backup which could be transfered to the
calc. And try using some cheap sram, not any type of rom. I would suggest using
those N64 memory packs for the controller, or what ever type of memory BryanR2 is
using. I looked inside of the memory packs for the controllers, and they have
256k to 1m in each one and run about $20. I like them because they have their own
battery inside, and come with a nice case. Too bad they are as big as they are..
Another thing I would like is make it so the regular expander only comes with
512k to 1m of memory, but with add ons could be expandable to as much memory as
possible. Here's what it should look like:

Normal expander:
+------------------------+
|                   |    |-
|                   |    |-
|                   |    |-
|                   |    |-
|                   |    |-
|                   |    |-
+------------------------+

                    |     |
  Slot for normal memory  |

               Extra expansion plug

Expander with expansion:
+------------------------+              +---------+
|                   |    |--------------|  |   |  |
|                   |    |--------------|  |   |  |
|                   |    |--------------|  |   |  |

  Slot for normal memory  |                |   |
                          |                \   /
          Extra expansion plug with a       \ /
                ribbon cable in it           |

                                   Slots on expansion