A92: function template

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A92: function template

     Being a bit lazy, and not altogether interested in learning all the
     details of assembly on the 68000, I'm looking for advice and perhaps a
     go-by to work with.

     I have developed a series of functions on my TI-92 (in TI-basic) that
     calculate various thermodynamic properties of steam and water. The
     only problem I have is computation time. Most of the interesting and
     useful calculations take several seconds.

     I am hoping to be able to code some of the core functions (maybe all
     of them) in assembler, but I have not yet found how to return a value
     across the Fargo veil.

     My questions:

     1. Is it possible to write functions in assembler?

     2. Is it likely that doing so would increase the speed of the
     computations? Note that I use a good deal of loops and constants.
     Also, how would functions calling functions affect the speed?

     3. How should I do the calculations? What are the
     advantages/disadvantages of using floating-point vs. BCD ?

     4. If the answers to 1 & 2 above are yes, does anyone have (or would
     some kind soul construct for me) a template that I could use to do
     some simple assembly programming? Note that I intend to submit my
     final version to the ticalc.org site and you will get an author's
     mention for any substantial help you provide.

     -gil

MSGCC.RTF